7th March 2018
Q&A with author and illustrator, Emma Levey
Based in Cardiff, Emma Levey is the author and illustrator of Hattie Peck, one of the first picture book titles to be published under Imagine That's brand new imprint, Willow Tree Books. 'Cluckily' for us, Emma kindly took five minutes out of her busy schedule to answer some questions:
1. What inspired you to write Hattie Peck?
I grew up on a smallholding so was always surrounded by animals. One memory in particular inspired the beginnings of Hattie Peck. One of our ducks abandoned a full nest of eggs. Meanwhile, a hen that had been broody for some time seized the opportunity to hatch out the clutch instead. A while later, a little flock of baby ducklings emerged and the hen mothered them as if they were her own. However, she was pretty confused when they took to the pond for their first swim!
2. If you could describe Hattie in three words, what would they be?
Loving, Adventurous, Determined.
3. What is your earliest memory of reading as a child?
When I started school, I remember looking forward to rainy playtimes so I could spend them snuggled up with my imagination, exploring the many picture books.
4. What is your favourite book?
That’s really tricky and changes often. However, the trilogy by Philip Pullman, ‘His Dark Materials’ is one of my all time favourites. It’s what started me down my path of book illustration.
5. Where is your favourite place to sit and read?
That’s easy, in bed!
6. If you could only choose three items to have beside you as you write, what would they be?
A chicken (a real one if I’m allowed), a good view, a nice cup of tea.